Ten Celebrity Children of Alcoholics
There are many famous people who struggle with alcohol addiction and many have lost their life because of it.
Some celebrities have had to endure the abuse of alcoholic parents and chose to remain sober, while others were caught up in the snare of alcoholism themself. Alcoholism has no boundaries or preferences; it affects the young and the old, the rich and the poor and the famous and the unknown. Below are ten celebrity children who are familiar with alcoholism.
- Halle Berry is a famous American Actress, fashion model and Academy Award winner for best actress in 2015. She was one of the highest paid actresses during the 2000’s working in both the television and film industry. Halle was born in Cleveland, Ohio, to Judith Ann (nee Hawkins) and Jerome Jesse Berry. Her father was an alcoholic who abused and abandoned his family while Halle was still young. Halle remembers her father repeatedly beating her mother on a daily basis. Halle and her sister Heidi were raised exclusively by her mother and she never saw her father again. Halle was married several times and was often involved in abusive relationships herself but she never became an alcoholic.
- Charlize Theron is a famous South African and American actress who has won many awards in the entertainment industry. Charlize was raised on a farm in Benoni, South Africa. Her father was an abusive alcoholic who physically beat her mother often. One night he arrived home drunk and starting shooting his gun in the house threatening that he was going to kill Charlize and her mother. He fired a shot through the door of Charlize’s bedroom and before he could shoot again her mother shot him dead. Her mother faced no charges as the case was adjudged as self-defense.
- Charlie Sheen is also a famous American actor who played many roles on television and in movies. Both he and his father, Martin Sheen, struggle with alcoholism. Charlie has been involved in many physical altercations and criminal mischief.
- Drew Barrymore is an American actress, model, author, director and producer. Drew’s father struggled with drug and alcohol addiction and it may have influenced Drew to start using. She started drinking alcohol at age nine, was in rehab before the age of thirteen, and attempted suicide a few times.
- Demi Moore is a famous American actress, model and filmmaker. Both of her parents were alleged alcoholics and were eventually estranged from Demi. She has been married three times and has three daughters with actor Bruce Willis. Demi suffered a mental breakdown after her third divorce and still struggles with addiction.
- Nicki Minaj was born in St. James, Trinidad and Tobago and grew up in Queens, New York. She is a famous singer, songwriter, rapper and actress. Nicki is considered by some to be the most influential female rapper and she has won many awards. Her father was addicted to drugs and alcohol, had a violent temper and burned their house down. After rehab, Nicki’s father became a born-again Christian, began attending Church regularly and remained sober. Nicki is also a Christian.
- Kelly Osbourne is a British singer, songwriter, actress, television personality and fashion designer. Her father, the famous rocker Ozzy Osbourne, struggles with drug and alcohol addiction, which has caused many public and private disturbances throughout Kelly’s life. Kelly began a battle with drug addiction at the age of 16, but after a few bouts in rehab has successfully recovered from drug addiction.
- Adele is a famous British singer and songwriter. Her father was an alleged alcoholic and so was Adele. Her drinking problem almost destroyed her career and health. She was not able to function properly and the alcohol was affecting her voice. Adele had surgery to repair her vocal cords and has stopped drinking alcohol.
- Billy Joel is an American pianist, singer, songwriter and composer. He has battled depression most of his life and has attempted suicide. He also struggles with alcohol abuse, which has affected both his personal and professional life. Billy still continues to drinks regardless of the strong reprimands and warnings he has received from family and friends.
- Truman Capote was a famous American novelist and short-story writer. He had a serious drinking problem and received treatment for alcoholism. Because his health was already seriously deteriorated, Truman died in 1984 at the age of 59.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the White Sands Treatment Center at (877) 556-9584. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.