Sober Fun Cinco De Mayo
That is because celebrating this holiday has become synonymous with excessive consumption of alcohol. For people who have a problem with binge drinking or those in recovery from alcohol addiction, Cinco de Mayo can have them teetering on the edge of a relapse or toxic liquor overload.
Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday celebrated on May 5th to commemorate the army’s victory in the Franco-Mexican War also referred to as the “Battle of Puebla”. Today, Cinco de Mayo is more or less a minor holiday in Mexico but it has evolved into a major celebration of Mexican culture in the United states. The celebrations for this festive holiday include traditional mariachi music, street festivals and innumerable house parties that together culminate in the sale of beer and alcohol that reach “behemoth” proportions annually.
While the fun and laugher produced by the sea of margarita, Mojitos and Montejo may be okay for some, the celebrations often prove truly life altering for others. Thousands of people across the united states lose their driving privileges because of drunk driving. And, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 33.8% of all U.S. traffic deaths on Cinco de Mayo involve drunk drivers.
Tips for Staying Sober on Cinco de Mayo
To keep the fun in Cinco de Mayo without the alcohol induced consequences, we have compiled a few ideas to enjoy Sober Fun for Cinco de Mayo fans.
- Make a conscious decision to enjoy the annual Cinco de Mayo Festivals without infusing the time with alcohol. Cinco de Mayo festival are featured in most cities in America that showcase live music, dance performances, and a variety of culinary delights. Savor the culture and enjoy Mexican culinary competitions and taco eating contests without the usual libations.
- Organize an annual alcohol free Cinco de Mayo celebration party. Introduce your guest to the bright and festive non-alcohol beverages such as mock margaritas, sangrita and refreshing watermelon agua fresca among others.
- Rent movies that depict the Cinco de Mayo story and make it an evening of understanding the true meaning of this holiday.
- Get a Mexican themed play list and dress up for an evening of dancing and getting an authentic feel for this holiday.
- Head to a classy restaurant that traditionally honor the Cinco de Mayo holiday.
- Start a family Cinco de Mayo tradition by heading out for clean, safe carousels and bumper car fun after a mouth-watering traditional Mexican meal.
For those who insist on drinking, do it safely by designating a sober driver and keeping to safe drinking limits to prevent a trip to the emergency room or jail. Truly celebrate this special day by vowing to stay sober through the most alcohol abused day of the year.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the White Sands Treatment Center at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.