Everything You Need to Know About Alcohol Poisoning


Alcohol poisoning is a serious issue that can sometimes become life-threatening. Binge drinking, or drinking a lot of alcohol in a short period of time, is the most common cause of alcohol poisoning. Binge drinking for a male is the consumption of five or more alcoholic beverages in two hours; for females, the amount drops to four drinks. A drink is defined as 12 ounces of beer, eight to nine ounces of malt liquor, five ounces of wine, or a 1.5-ounce shot of 80-proof spirits. Before heading out for a night at the bar, it’s important to learn what to do for alcohol poisoning and how to spot its onset, as knowing these things could help keep a fun night out from turning into a tragedy.

How do you know if you have alcohol poisoning? The symptoms and signs of alcohol overdose include unconsciousness, slow or irregular breathing, vomiting, seizures, confusion, blue or pale skin, and low body temperature. If someone with alcohol poisoning goes untreated, they can choke on their own vomit, develop permanent brain damage, or even die. It’s important to note that when a person stops drinking alcohol, it is still released into their bloodstream from their stomach until it is all metabolized, meaning that even if you pass out, your body will continue to absorb alcohol, potentially reaching fatal levels. This is why it is so important to get help immediately if you see the signs of alcohol overdose in someone you’re with.

If you see the signs of alcohol poisoning, the first thing you must do is call 911, even if you are not 100% sure that the person is in critical danger; it’s better to be safe than sorry. Never leave an unconscious person alone, as someone with alcohol poisoning could vomit and choke on it. If they are vomiting, try to position them so they’re sitting upright or turn their head to the side so that they do not choke. And if they are conscious, try to keep them awake.

Once someone is hospitalized, the process of recovering from alcohol poisoning depends on how severe their medical situation is. There’s little that can be done to get alcohol out of the body except for just waiting for the body to metabolize it, but medical professionals will monitor and treat any dangerous symptoms while this happens. Since alcohol causes dehydration, IV fluids might be given. In worse cases, alcohol can depress breathing, meaning that the person might need to be given oxygen treatment or even put on a ventilator.

The next step in recovering from alcohol poisoning is learning not to misuse alcohol so this doesn’t happen again, and for many, that means seeking help from an individualized alcohol addiction treatment program. White Sands Treatment Center is an accredited private drug and alcohol addiction treatment center located in Fort Myers, Florida, and we will help facilitate travel arrangements to our facility no matter where you live. We also accommodate most insurance plans in most states. We have a highly qualified staff with board-certified doctors, nurses, psychiatrists, and counselors all under one roof. We offer highly individualized alcohol treatment programs, making our facility a key part of the path to alcohol poisoning recovery for many people. White Sands Treatment Center is designed to make you feel safe and comfortable while going through detox and during recovery in a beautiful and serene environment. We offer free clinical assessments, and you can call 24/7 to speak with our professional staff. Don’t wait to get the help you need: Call today.