Dual Diagnosis Treatment Center Programs
Mood disorders are an extremely common mental health issue. Sometimes, we encounter them in conjunction with some form of addiction. This results in a dual diagnosis. The most common forms of dual diagnosis are related to mood disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety disorder. The symptoms of each of these disorders are extremely diverse. Since each mood disorder is associated with unpleasant emotional and physical experiences, someone who suffers from a dual diagnosis may self-medicate in the hopes of creating calmer, steadier moods. It’s important to note that drug or alcohol abuse also can lead to the development of mood disorders, especially if you’re already at risk. While substance abuse may be prompted by mental health problems in one person, the emergence of mental health problems may be triggered by drugs or alcohol in another. Treating a dual diagnosis can be incredibly complex and should be done under the supervision and guidance of experienced medical professionals. We are proud to be one of the best dual diagnosis treatment centers in the country.
Signs and symptoms of mood disorders
If you’re struggling with a mood disorder paired with an addiction, White Sands Treatment Center can help you tackle both problems. The first step is to learn how to identify mood disorders. The following are major signs and symptoms:
- Depression: Feelings of worthlessness, decreased interest in hobbies and relationships, feeling tearful, lacking hope for the future, feeling isolated, having difficulty making decisions, physical exhaustion, insomnia, low levels of motivation, and thoughts of self-harm
- Anxiety: Restlessness, a sense of impending doom, unexplained episodes of panic, feeling irritable, having trouble concentrating, and experiencing discomfort in social situations
- Bipolar disorder: Manic episodes that alternate with depressive episodes. The former typically involves increased confidence, excitability, impulsiveness, risk-taking behaviors, and trouble (or lack of interest in) sleeping. The latter tends to involve lethargy, melancholy, low self-esteem, and decreased interest in previously enjoyed activities.
Signs and symptoms of abuse and addiction
- Misleading other people about how much or how often you consume drugs and/or alcohol
- Having trouble cutting back on drugs or alcohol even if you think it would be a good idea to do so
- Loved ones expressing concern about your drinking or drug use
- Experiencing frequent regrets about actions taken when drunk or high
- Experiencing blackouts due to drinking or taking drugs
- Reduced performance level at work or school
- Mental or physical health problems connected with an increased use of alcohol or drugs
- Feeling sick if you attempt to avoid drinking or taking drugs for more than a day
If more than one of these signs sounds familiar to you, it’s highly likely that you have an unhealthy relationship with drugs or alcohol.
Treating mood disorders and substance abuse at White Sands
We are a cost-effective dual diagnosis treatment center with specialized recovery programs. These programs involve careful treatment of both the mood disorder and the drug or alcohol abuse. At White Sands, we provide you with high-quality services not offered by other dual diagnosis rehab centers. Look at some of the services we provide at our accredited facility:
- If your body is utterly dependent on a drug, we admit you to an inpatient medical detox program. The detox process gradually weans you off of drugs or alcohol in a way that is safe, controlled, and constantly monitored by our team of health experts. Your withdrawal symptoms are managed with appropriate medication. People are likely to experience successful recovery in inpatient dual diagnosis treatment centers due to the constant monitoring and care provided by knowledgeable medical staff members.
- We provide you with appropriate medication for your mood disorder. Whether you have depression, bipolar disorder, or an anxiety disorder, we find the right medication and dosage to get your most troubling symptoms under control.
- We supply psychotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy designed for people with mood disorders and administered by our professional addiction counselors. The goal of your therapy is twofold. First, you explore the reasons why you turned to alcohol or drugs for relief and learn alternative coping mechanisms. Secondly, you learn more about dealing with your mood disorder and discover underlying factors that may be exacerbating your symptoms. Group therapy is available as part of your rehabilitation.
- Education programs that focus on exposing both mood disorders and addiction as well as the ways in which the two can interact are available for you and your loved ones. Many families find this type of education very useful as they start to provide meaningful support.
- Family therapy can address any relationship problems that have arisen because of drug or alcohol addiction as well as mood disorders. Discussing your issues in a safe environment allows you to process the past and move on. We’ve had great success in bringing families closer despite the pain caused by addiction and mental illness. Counseling can be of tremendous value to every member of your family.
- Holistic treatments in our supportive, welcoming community are part of our comprehensive approach. Some examples of these treatments include exercise plans, creative activities, and meditation.
- Aftercare options can help you make a safe transition back to your everyday life. Often, rehab patients feel best when they move on to partial hospitalization before transitioning to a sober living community. When you are truly ready to leave our dual diagnosis treatment center, we will help you find community support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous that can play a critical role in helping you remain sober.
Get help now
If you’ve noticed the signs of a mood disorder and an addiction in yourself or someone you love, don’t wait another day to seek help. Call White Sands at (877) 855-3470 to speak to a professionally trained member of our team. We can answer all of your questions about our dual diagnosis treatment facility, our philosophy, and our therapy options and programs. Recovery is possible! With the help of White Sands, one of the best dual diagnosis treatment centers in the country, you can live a full, happy life free from the destructive constraints of addiction.